BEST Hot Sauce Recipe
You know how it goes, you are at the supermarket looking for a good hot sauce and even though there are like a hundred “award winning” hot sauces to choose from, when you get home with your “award winner”, it does not quite live up to the hype. Well, here is a secret hot sauce/enchilada sauce recipe that I believe lives up to the hype. The beauty about this hot sauce is that you control the taste, you are in charge of how acidic it tastes, how hot it is, how salty, etc. This sauce is the BEST with enchiladas, burritos, chips and beer.
Enjoy! And please let me know if this hot sauce/enchilada sauce lives up to the hype.
Secret Hot Sauce/Enchilada Sauce Recipe
4 Tablespoons Oil
2 Tablespoons Flour
1 Tablespoon each of New Mexico, California and Padilla Chili Powders
2 Cups Chicken Broth
8 Ounces Tomato Sauce
Salt to Taste
• Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan
• When the oil is hot, but not too hot, stir in the flour until it turns to a smooth golden yellow.
• Adjust heat as needed so as to not burn the flour mixture.
• Very slowly add in chili powders and the chicken broth and stir constantly to keep everything smooth.
• Adjust heat as needed so as to not burn the flour/chili powder mixture.
• Keep slowly adding in the chicken broth as the chili powders thicken, and keep the mixture smooth by constantly stirring.
• Add in the tomato sauce to taste. Make sure that your hot sauce is not overwhelmed by the tomato sauce taste and that it is not too acidic.
• Add salt to taste.
• Keep stirring.
• Reduce heat to make sure you do not burn the mixture, stir smooth and do the final taste test.
• Let the mixture cool and then pour into a glass jar and place in the refrigerator.
• NOTE – The mixture will thicken in the refrigerator, so make sure that it is not too thick before placing it in the refrigerator.